Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Traditional Dress

It only took me three years to do this.....

These are the clothes and some of the souvenirs we brought home from Ukraine.
Of course we CAN'T be serious for long.....

Probably the only time that you will ever see a picture of the girls as they are now part and parcel of a family.  But I thought this was fitting.

This is a mace and is a symbol of Ukraine similar to the eagle or Liberty Bell is for America.  Couldn't get anyone to tell us why, though.













Nesting dolls. If you look closely you will see the the biggest one is holding a loaf of bread with a embroidered towel underneath. Ukrainian was often called "The Breadbasket of the USSR" because they supplied a huge percentage of the wheat for the Soviet Union. This symbol (bread and linen) means something to the affect of wishing fruitfulness on you. Especially important for weddings for obvious reasons. I think they use it somehow in the traditional wedding ceremony.


This cute little nesting set I bought for the kids to play with during Christmas time (Think can of nuts, Mom).  They love it!











All the shirts are hand embroidered.

































1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Of course at the beginning of the blog I thought you were going to say "it only took three years for me to MAKE these!" LOL! Because, I know you COULD!

    ReplyDelete