Monday, August 30, 2010

knitting and crochetting

I decided that I was going to work with each child and teach them to crochet and make an easy animal.  We found a huge bin of yarn for $5 at a garage sale, so there is lots of colors to chose from... and I won't see all the wasted money when they  cut it off to throw it away to start another project. :)
 That hasn't worked out quite as well as I had hoped.  There have been lots of things started but very few things actually finished.  However,  they have had fun.   

Anastasia making a bear.
Jonas knitting a scarf for Tessa.

Kristina also crocheting a bear.
Alina making a pig.
Miriam learning knitting with a scarf.  I told Kristina that I didn't know how to knit and I'd have to find someone else to teach her.  But I made the stipulation that she had to actually finish something before I would do that.  She finished a sucker so I had her call Sister Swenson, a lady in our ward who knits and teaches.   So twice a week she goes there.  This is the scarf that Kristina is working on with her.
 
Miriam has started going, as well.
Caleb making a hat on a circular loom.
This one is actually before the last picture.
Caleb doing boondoggle (I know, not really knitting or crocheting but still....)

That got me interested in knitting again. Just after Talita was born I decided I wanted to teach myself to knit. I made a baby blanket a sweater and started another when I decided I liked crocheting better. This time I decided I wanted to do socks.
This is the first one I made.  Sadly, it has no mate as I got "Second Sock Syndrome."  It also was done on tiny needles that were made for fingering weight yarn with worsted weight yarn so it is not cozy and soft.
Becasue of "second sock syndrome" I checked a book out of the library that showed how to do both socks at once on 2 circular needles.  They are done, not pretty but done.
This is the current project. I had this fuzzy fingering yarn in my stash.  It is a nightmare to work with; it slides off the needle and gets tangled on itself. (That is why the stitches are so uneven) But I like how the sock looks so I'm gonna finish it and it's mate. 
All in all a great diversion for summer projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment