Thursday, August 26, 2010

Berries

I think I finally feel like going to sleep... and the coughing has subsided a little so this is the last post for a while.
We have somehow established ourselves as the people to call.... Let me back up.  The local berry farm (one of them, anyway) has a list of people to call at the end of the day when they have berries left over that they haven't sold, that will buy them on a moments notice for half the price.  Well, I guess because we take 10 or more boxes at a time they have found that it is easy to call us to get rid of a lot at once.  We ended up doing something like 40 or 50 boxes of raspberries and something like 20 boxes of strawberries (which is rare, usually there aren't any strawberries left over.


SO we have spent a lot of time putting up berries this year.  I made about 200 pint jars of jam... we go through it like water during the school year with the kids making their lunches.

And about 50 or so quarts of pie filling.  And I have actally made some pies from it. Pies are a big stretch for me as I can never seem to get the crust right.  But I purchased a rolling mat and have practiced.  This is good because they are a big hit.  Even the RS raved about my pies.
We froze a lot for berry "milkshakes" what we call smoothies at our house.
Because of this great blessing that part of our food storage is well stocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment