Thursday, August 26, 2010

Run, Run, Run, Runaway and other Summer time "fun"

This summer has been a fun one.  I love having my kids home.  We'll talk about all the things we have accomplished in the next post.  This post is going to be (hopefully, briefly) about the challenging behavior that has popped up.
First and foremost, Running away.  All the girls (except Ryah) tried it at least once.  And it wasn't fun.  We even called the police a couple of times.  They did it mostly in response to chores.  Actually, I think it was mostly in response to testing the limits, to claim a power over someone.  But we hope we have established that it is not a way to solve any problems.  Hopefully, it won't happen again.
I have never been so yelled at, called names, kicked or hit so much.  Even Anastasia, who is my "please everyone, never an unkind word, even tempered" one had a couple extremely difficult weeks.
But the most difficult part, for me, is the outside forces. 
The comments such as:
"yes, but they have had a rough life." (that is true but doesn't mean they should be allowed to act in unacceptable ways, and implying that I'm in the wrong for towing the line)
"they seem like nice kids"  (and they are, very nice, but we have to wade through the valley of death, before they work through all the ugliness, this also implys that I'm fibbing or exaggerating)

There are lots more, but I'm gonna stop here because I just re-read that and it sounds like I'm whining and having a pity party.  So, I will end by saying that there have been some rough patches and we know that we are going to have more rough patches.  What everyone else sees is only a relatively small part of the whole picture.  But we know that these girls are OUR girls, that has been confirmed to us many times.  We love them and are committed to making our family an eternal one.
Sometime, probably after school starts and I have 2 brain cells to rub together I will write a post about what each adopted girl has brought to our family and how we have each grown because they are with us.  Because we have been very blessed.  And we probably don't point that out enough. 
For now, on to the fun times...

No comments:

Post a Comment