Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jones Crew

Ever since I have had more than one child, I have been paranoid about leaving one, losing one. 

Well, it finally happened.

We were at Playground Pals and Caleb's friend, Gabriel,  was there wanting to come over to our house. 
Sure.
Then you'll have to drop Nathan (his little brother) off at home.
No big deal as they live about 3 block away.  So everyone piled in the car, loud and happy.  Gabriel sat in the front middle between Elijah and Ryah.  Caleb sat in the very front so Nathan sat in Caleb's spot. I even asked the kids if everyone was there.  With a quick glance in the rear view mirror to make sure everyone was sitting and not still trying to buckle.  I was off.

We get nearly to Gabriel's house when I just felt it.  Felt like something was amiss.  I looked in the mirror and counted heads.  I had to crane my neck to check.  Wait a minute, Elijah wasn't there.  He sits behind the driver's seat and is hard to see in the mirror.  We... I had left him at Playground Pals.

Now my kids are really good kids.  They watch out for each other. (Sometimes overly so, but I digress).  I know they would have told me if they were aware if anyone wasn't there, but especially Elijah.  Everyone watches out for him.  But with Gabe sitting there "hiding" him and Gabe not knowing the difference....

Guilt, Fear, and Panic gripped my heart making it hard to breathe.  Even though I knew Elijah wouldn't be in any danger, I didn't even drive the last 20 feet to Gabe's house, I turned around and fled back to the school.

Of course, Elijah barely even knew we were gone, he was having so much fun on the playground.  None the worse for wear.  I, however, am scarred for life.  :)

I told Keith about it when we were driving somewhere in the car.  He immediately turned around and instituted a count off system.  (I guess he is paranoid about it too).  Mom or Dad yells "JONES CREW" and Elijah yells "One", Ryah "Two", Anastasia "Three, ect.    They are to the point, they are very fast at it, and it only takes about 10 seconds.

I detest assigning kids numbers for anything.  However, since I'm convinced that I would die of a heart attack right there on the spot were that to happen again, I think I can live with it.  So now we have a quick way of telling if someone is missing, so we can act quickly if necessary.

And the kids actually like it.  They are forever saying "Say 'Jones Crew,' Mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment