Tuesday, November 17, 2009

This is really BIG!!!!!!

Ryah can write her name.

She started out asking me to help her color a picture (and throwing a fit when I wouldn't help any more and made her do it by herself) and refusing to even make the resemblance of shape (just solid coloring the whole page, one color- sometimes two colors, paper after paper, after paper). I finally decided that it was more important for me to work on the emotional issues than the academic ones. So this is REALLY big. The significance of her writing is incredible.

She came home one day from school saying she wrote an R. So, I had her write one for me, and sure enough she did it. After a couple days of "drawing R," Kristina showed her how to write "yah". And now she "colors" her name all the time. Yippeee!!! She still doesn't know names of letters other than capital R, but the fact that she will write them is a gigantic step in the right direction.

It just takes someone other than me teaching, I guess.




1 comment: