Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

Late, I know.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Way overboard on the food! Sort of on purpose, I didn't have to cook again the whole vacation- nice! But also because I got in a cooking fit and wanted to try a bunch of things. (Cooking fits, where I actually LIKE to cook, happen only about twice a year so we enjoy them while they last)

I cooked pies all day wednesday. Well, most of the day. I did go shopping and take lots of kid breaks. I made 6: pumpkin (of course), carmel pecan pumpkin, lemon merangue (is that spelled right?), apple, peanut butter and Keith's favorite custard pie.

Then thursday the kids helped with a frenzy cooking the rest. I couldn't keep them busy enough. We had ham AND turkey (don't ask why), Mashed potatoes (smackin' taters), fresh cranberry sauce (waaaay better than canned), fresh cranberry relish (Keith argues: waaaay better than sauce), stuffing, sweet potato casserole, glazed carrots, greenbeans (that French's onions recipe), gravy, and frog-eye salad (always a big hit). Also, Miriam made indian pudding that she learned how to make in school (they actually had a "Thanksgiving Party", none of this harvest day blah blah blah) that was super yummy. We even got to eat on the china. First time since the girls have been home (we used to use the china every sunday) And not even one plate got broken.

We went around the table and everyone said what they were thankful for (well, not Ryah. And Elijah was thankful for plates and forks and a bunch of other things that we usually aren't thankful for but should be). It was really nice. The kids were each so thoughtful and didn't even have this shut-up-so-we-can-eat-already attitude. I video taped it but still haven't figured out how to download video to the computer (Keith's "figuring out computer" time is spent figuring out the church computers and getting wireless internet to each of the church buildings. Well, and to be honest I haven't even tried to figure it out-- I've been just to busy and there just isn't enough of me to go around. But I digress).

The girls didn't know what to think, as much food as they could eat (in some cases until they got sick). I thought Kristina would NEVER stop. She only did when I wouldn't let her get 7ths or 8ths. Then she complained of a stomach ache the rest of the afternoon. We are still working on the food issues.



Then we had a nap and played games. When our kids play games they play games hard!! We almost always had 2 games going at all times.

Friday, Keith and I spent the morning shopping (gone are the days of being able to NOT shop at these crazy sales) while the kids played more games. Then we ate leftovers (yippeeeee) and played some more. Saturday, I took Elijah and did some more shopping while keith managed the fort. He also got some news that we need a $3000 repair on our well (we are kind of tired of drinking--or not, as the case may be-- water that was red, orange or yellow). But not letting our mood be dampened we went out and got a Christmas tree from the Sea Scouts. The kids are sooooo excited about Christmas!! But I guess that is a post for another day as this post's title says "Thanksgiving". Our Thanksgiving was wonderful!! The only thing would have made it better been to be around family!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did do it up! O didn't like any of the traditional foods from turkey to stuffing to pie! Of course she could eat potatoes all day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's A LOT of food! . . . and PIES! How fun!!
    Sorry to hear about your well. Bugger!
    Glad you got a tree and got some shopping done. I'm not feeling the christmas spirit just yet. Still have our Halloween decor up. Ha! Cute photo :)

    ReplyDelete