Saturday, February 14, 2009

A kiss, a police brawl and a lost 2 year old (almost)

February 14- Saturday- GOTCHA DAY
Yes, it is Valentine’s Day. I’m embarrassed to say that the whole day I was thinking that it was Friday (even though I knew it wasn’t) and that I still had another day to buy some Valentines for the girls. My poor husband married a very UNROMANTIC person. I try LOL.
We woke up pretty focused on the fact that this is the last shopping day we have without the girls. (I’m sorry, but I’m NOT going souvenir shopping with 5 kids—most of whom don’t understand me-- in those small stores with so many breakables. Keith might even have to go grocery shopping by himself). I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t get back to sleep so I answered emails. Luckily, it was early enough that I could go back to sleep before I had to get up. I am still pretty tired though. Elijah was pretty uncooperative as well.
We went to the Reenick (only dim ominous music). We wanted to get a coat for Keith- his is getting pretty worn out, Elijah- his is getting too small, and me- only because Keith thinks if we get something for him we have to get something for me… and because you can get things pretty cheap at the Reenick.
We stopped at the place that has traditional outfits. We wanted to get a set for each girl to have as a keepsake. Through MUCH pantomiming we picked up enough shirts for the girls. I had to do all the talking (read: waving my arms and pointing a lot) because Elijah was throwing a fit and Keith was trying to keep him from pushing stuff off to the mud below. I tried to tell the lady (who was VERY patient) I wanted 4 of the skirts and headbands but she thought I was talking about price. I finally gave up and considered myself lucky to get what I got: 5 shirts, one apron, and one headband. But Keith would have nothing of it. He made me go back and this time Elijah was pretty cooperative. It helped that there was a 4 piece band who struck up a song 10 feet away. But he just stood by me and waited and allowed Keith to get in on the charade fun. It was pretty funny. We spent 20- 30 minutes trying to communicate what we wanted. Then all of a sudden we hear this “What do you want?” It was this you lady who spoke English. She translated for us and we were soooo grateful. We were able to get everything we needed, with the exception of enough skirts and aprons. She didn’t have enough but she promised she would have more by next Friday. We ordered what we needed and left feeling very proud of ourselves. This Reenick thing isn’t too bad. We wandered around and found a place to buy Elijah a coat, nice and warm and big enough for ~$8. He then fell asleep on my shoulder. Keith was bound and determined to get me a coat. So we found a place that sold women’s coats (as opposed to young girls’ coats—there were LOTS of those places). And I found a nice leather, full length one, that is for church for a good deal. I still can’t believe I let him talk me into buying it. Then without any trouble we bought a sweater for Ryah. Next, we found Keith’s coat and purchased it. He feels that we didn’t handle it right and he could have gotten a better deal on it but I had no problem with it. And he looks very handsome in it. Of course, he looks handsome in anything.
So, we were tired and hungry when we drug ourselves home at 1:00 but we had a successful Reenick day. We left feeling like with a pen and paper, our electronic translator and patient sales people we could buy anything we wanted at the Reenick.
No rest for the weary, however. We still had to go downtown to, internet cards, exchange money for Monday and get the rest of the souvenirs we planned on getting.
We were able to get all the souvenirs we needed and 3 more internet cards and do all the other things we didn’t get to yesterday. As we were walking down the High Street-- as Keith calls it, where only people can walk, no cars—I kept wondering why everyone was carrying flowers and other Valentine’s gifts a day early. Do they celebrate it on the 13th here?!?! Boy, I’m not very bright am I?
After finishing shopping and returning to the apartment to drop of our purchases we were pretty late to see the girls. Can’t seem to get there on time. But, I guess after Tuesday on time will be all the time. When we walked in the room Julia was there. A1 wanted her to ask us when they were coming with us. Keith worked with that so I’m not sure what all else was said. So, I’m guessing the girls know more than I give them credit for.
I had to be the meanie. One cute little boy wanted to put one of our puzzles together so I let him. Then he finally got me to understand that he wanted me to help him, so I sat on the floor and we began putting it together. A2 would have none of that. She yelled at him and pushed him away. I told her it was ok, he could put it together. I finally had to tell her that she couldn’t help if she didn’t let him, I even carried her to the couch before she finally grudgingly let him help. Even then she kept hoarding the pieces and grabbing them from him. Maybe for attachment I should have let her push him away. I don’t know.
It was a busy visit but good. I finally got K to take pictures of A2 and R’s bedroom. We also got pictures of the caretaker, the picture wall (again) and me (for the umpteenth time—I know, I’m the one that is new to them, but come on, no more pictures LOL. Good thing there is a delete button!)
As we were cleaning up getting ready to leave, somehow Elijah made his way into the dining room and sat down to eat. They were very kind and served him up food. The girls came back into the room very excited, laughing. “Elijah hungry.” We went in there and sure, enough, he was chowing down with all the other children. LOL When we protested the caretaker insisted it was ok. So we stood and watched them eat. I would have gotten a picture of it but my battery was dead (Grrrrrr). K even gave Keith and I an apple, a couple crackers and a couple pieces of candy. I guess it was her turn to be the passer-outer. I thought, “Wow, they even get candy.” LOL I’m REALLY slow, aren’t I? Can I claim sleep deprivation?
As we were getting our coats on to leave it was barely controlled chaos. It always is with so many people trying to help us put coats and shoes on and put things in our bag. A2 was able to slip away with Elijah. I didn’t realize she had gone so early until we were downstairs and walking down the hall. I saw her standing at the end of the hall by herself. I kind of panicked. Elijah has a bad habit of running off and out the door and is nearly gone before you can call him back. I had brief but horrible images of him getting lost and not being able to find him in the dark. Thinking back on it he probably wouldn’t have gotten very far but when you panic reasoning kind of goes out the window. So, I ran. Luckily, the door was locked and he couldn’t get out. But had been really panicked and A2 just laughed. I could tell that she knew she had done wrong but she still laughed. Keith tried to explain to her that you can’t do that, but she just got upset and ran away. I think we are going to have a tough time with her.
So, we walked around the orphanage trying to find a door that was unlocked. Then said goodbye to everyone else and headed for the grocery store. We were LONG overdue for a grocery run. We had cookies for lunch because it was all we had.
On the way to the grocery store we passed a car just in time to see 4 or 5 policeman grab a guy who was getting out of it and trying to get away. Again, I panicked. I had thoughts of getting caught in the crossfire or being held hostage or something equally ominous. Luckily, the police had it under control, but a mother’s heart can only take so much excitement in one day. Especially when she is tired.
At the grocery store I waited outside the checkouts. Our back pack is too big when we have things in it to fit it into their lockers so I waited while Keith and Elijah shopped. We were only getting a couple things so we could have them eaten up before we move on Tuesday.
While I was waiting there was a guy hanging around me. When Keith was checking out he sent Elijah to me. The guy got closer and kept eyeing Elijah. Not too unusual but I’m cautious. While trying to watch that nothing happened to him, out of the corner of my eye I notice an exchange between Keith and the clerk. When he came to me he showed me that she had given him a box of chocolates. Cool. But then came one of the workers talking to us rapidly. I thought, “oh great, they think we stole something.” After a minute I figured out that he didn’t think we had stolen something he wanted Keith to give me a kiss. Keith was happy to oblige and they all laughed and clapped. It was pretty funny. It wasn’t until on the way home that Keith said “Karen, it IS Saturday. It IS Valentine’s day.” So we celebrated by a public kiss and a box of chocolates.
Oh, I forgot about the guy who was hanging around me. He talked to Elijah. Then when Keith came and the excitement after the kiss died down he talked to us in English. At least we finally figured out that it was English. He was hard to understand. He asked about where we lived and how we got around. We were polite without giving him much information. He kept saying “Happy Ukraine!” He was trying to help us get on the bus. We politely refused. Then he said “Happy Ukraine! Respect America!” Happy Ukraine indeed. It occurred to me that he might have been drunk, though that wasn’t obvious.
I chuckled about the chocolates, the kiss and “Happy Ukraine!” all the way home. I couldn’t stop. I guess I need more sleep.
The girls are our’s officially now. Heaven worked miracles and we are a family of ten. Happy Valentine’s Day!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!!! We are counting the days until we get to meet your new family. Hang in there you are almost there. We love your blogging. We always take time at night to read the next day of the Jone's diary! Love Tom, Dedra and Family

    ReplyDelete