Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 8

February 11- Wednesday- DAY 8
I and Elijah went by ourselves to the orphanage again so Keith could work. A1 was home from school again. I’d only been there about 15 or 20 minutes when she wanted to go outside. Hey, I’m happy to oblige! It is getting very boring in that one room with those same blocks. She ran off to ask the caretaker if it was alright, and we were off. A few of the other kids came too. The little girl also joined us. When caretakers let her she is never very far from me- usually on my lap or holding my hand. But it wasn’t too long before the caretaker came out and took her back in. Oops. I guess I wasn’t supposed to take her out. A1 took a bike out and rode around a bit. Her tire was flat so I’m sure it wasn’t too comfortable. The other 3 and I walked around and played on a couple playgrounds. We didn’t get nearly as muddy as we did yesterday because we had a dry night last night and the mud is starting to dry up. When we went back in I found out why the caretaker came and got the little girl. Her father was there visiting her and her sister. They say that 85-90% of children in orphanages are not legally free to be adopted. I have seen 4 parents come and visit their children in our groupa. They always bring gifts (food- mostly, but also clothes, cell phone and other things) and then leave. It breaks my heart each time. How sad to be in a situation where you can’t take care of your kids, where you can’t be with your kids.
I did a load of laundry and then we slept for our break. It was much needed by all of us!!
It was computer day for the evening. We also took Elijah’s trains and train tracks and a couple matchbox cars. It was a little tough on him to share them but he did pretty well. We also took batteries. On Sunday A1 showed me a doll—I think it was hers- that needed batteries. Monday we happened to be at the store and I happened to remember to buy some (miracle). Then I misplaced them until today. She was very grateful.
The caregivers let a bunch of the kids stay in the room so it was somewhat chaotic.
Tonight was the first night I have thought “we gotta get those girls out of there.” I felt a real need to get them to a situation where I can control what happens to them and start to set some rules to the behavior. Only two more days of our waiting period. Ok, not really…. 5 more days till we can take them. But will we take them then?!?!?! Argh!! Don’t get me started on that same old yarn. It is late and I’m tired.
I took the camera to get lots of pictures and got some (I'll post some when I get them downloaded) but then the battery died. I’ll have to charge it and get more. I want to take pictures of their bedrooms. I haven’t been back there since the first day. I wonder how I can ask if it is ok to do so now.
It was raining when we walked home. Great, more mud.
While I was cooking supper the power went out. Luba’s mom lit some candles for us and we had a candlelight dinner. About the time we were finished the power came back on. Reminded me of home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment