Sunday, March 7, 2010

Have I taught her well??

So, I'm with Anastasia, Alina and Kristina by the QFC selling cookies and they keep asking me questions about the Operation Cookie Drop (we had an empty box for the cause).  In case you don't know what that is- people may buy boxes of cookies to donate and the Girl Scouts will get them to the troops.  Anastasia got very concerned about soldiers. 
I have already explained a million and a half times since we brought them home that Dad will not go into the military and get killed because his job is in computers.  In Ukraine every male has to serve his time in the military (2 years, maybe?).  If you adopt boys you have to be careful with taking them back to Ukraine when they are a teenager as technically they are still Ukrainian citizens and required to serve.  I expect I'll have to explain it a million times more before they really believe it.  That is because of a composite of their orphan background and their Ukrainian heritage, I'm sure.
Anyway, I explained her that they chose to do that as their job.  That they don't like to kill people but they work hard to protect us from the people who want to kill us.   I then told her to, when he comes out, tell him thank you for keeping us safe.  So he comes out and (very generously) buys some cookies.  I said, "Thank you.  And thank your for your service."  Anastasia pipes up in her cute little Ukranian accent, "Thank you for saving us!"
Made me want to cry.  I hope I can teach her and all of them to view soldiers (of all ages) as the cream of the crop and give them respect and deference and gratitude that they deserve (Thanks, Dad).
The soldier for his part, very humbly said "Glad to do it," when I thanked him.  But when Anastasia thanked him he was close to tears himself, said, "That has to be the cutest thing I've ever heard."

*I was going to get some pictures of the girls in the Girl Scout Uniforms but I was too stressed about the cookies/ money/ girls to have the presence of mind to pull out the camera.  Maybe you'll get some later, or maybe not.  I don't seem to have the presence of mind to do a lot of things lately

No comments:

Post a Comment