Wednesday, April 29, 2009

First Day of School

With some trepidation I sent the girls to school today. They were really nervous but excited. Kristina kept saying "I no go." and then almost without taking a breath, "what my teacher?" I drove them (well, everyone) and we started at Anastasia's classroom. She was hesitant but still did everything the teacher asked her to. Then we went to Alina's. She promptly buried her head in my jacket but then let me leave. Kristina had the hardest time. She kept saying "I no go." Her teacher had recorded some Russian off the comptuer to play for her ("welcome to class, we hope you like it here"). I helped her to her desk and she cried a little and asked if I could stay. I asked the teacher and then sat behind her. He had her start a little string picture. I figured I had better get out soon or I was going to have 2 bored little kids on my hands.
When I went to pick them up at 11:10 they were all bursting with stories to tell me. "Funny!" said Alina (meaning *fun*). They want to go back tomorrow and stay all day (they won't stay all day, yet). When we were going to the car we met a friend who offered to take a pciture of them on their first day. Bad me! Didn't even think about it. So I took some more when we got home:







2 comments:

  1. I'm glad they had such a good time at their first day of school. Will they be in the appropriate grade levels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Well, sorta. Since there is only a month left of school, the idea was just to get them used to the school. The school has no openings in 2nd grade. So Kristina is in 3rd. Alina and Anastasia are both in 1st.
    We think Alina was in the Ukrainian equivalent of kindergarten and Anastasia had never gone to school.

    ReplyDelete