Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It is all about Perspective

 I was helping Miriam write her talk for Primay on Sunday.  We were writing about how Ordinances and Prinicples of the Gospel bring us to Jesus Christ.  I made a path.  On one end I put a person, on the other we were going to have a picture of Jesus.  I made a gate, representing baptism.  Miriam said she thinks she has it down but "can I please draw the picture?"

Sure, no problem.  She had me draw the path.  Then she drew the gate and the people.  Notice how her gate is the perspective of the path.  Mine isn't.  Maybe that is why I never became an artist.
Come to think of it.... I was helping in Miriam's classroom and her teacher wanted her to show me something she had been working on.  She showed me a map of the United States she had "copied" from a smaller version.  The smaller version was about 4"x6", while the larger was about 18" x 20".  I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging when I say it was perfect.  It really was.  All the states were exactly the right shape and size.  The western half wasn't much bigger than the eastern half like usually happens when I do that.  I couldn't have done as nice a job if I had blown it up and traced over it.  I guess she has great perspective.
Oh, and she overheard when I showed both of our gates to Keith and asked what I meant.  I spent some time trying to explain to her why her gate looked better.  She didn't get it.  She had no clue what I was talking about.  So, she understands 2 dimensional/ 3 dimensional perspective on a subconscious level.
Hmmm Do I encourage her passion for the body and things medical toward being a doctor or do I encourage the natural ability toward being an artist? 

No comments:

Post a Comment