Tuesday, July 21, 2009

For the beauty of the earth

Our garden is coming along really well. It needs to be weeded horribly but with hurting my back I can only do it sporadically. And I really can't complain, the watering is pretty easy (even if Keith doesn't think so). Especially since we haven't had too many days with hot weather.
Rather than taking too many landscape pictures of it all I figured it was nicer to see the individual "fruits," because that is the exciting part.

These are the spaghetti squash. They are very happy plants (see how they are trying to climb the fence in the back), but no flowers yet. hmmmmm.
This is a hubbard squash. It is about 5 inches long.
This is a test watermelon. It is about 2 inches long. We have about 3 of these so far and lots of flowers, yet.


This is the totermelons and cantelope. There are a couple cantelope or should I say swellings behind the flowers. I just didn't get pictures of them. If you look carefully in the middle bottom you can see the above watermelon.

This is our corn with Alina and Elijah standing by it for reference.

Here is a better picture of the corn.
This is the potato patch. We finally hilled them up. These plants are past my knees. Hopefully there is as much under the ground as there is on top.
This is an eggplant flower. I've grown eggplants before but never really gotten anything from it.
These are our beets. They need to be thinned but see previous comment about my back.


This is the first time I have planted broccoli or cauliflower and LOOK! there is actually broccoli.


And cauliflower. Wahoooo

These are our beans and peas (with the beets in the distance). The deer really LOVE these. Can you see all the stick-y things standing up? That is where bean leaves were once.

This is the zucchini we picked today. Now of course it we didn't pick any for 2 days. This is probably 15 pounds of zucchini.

Here is my cute helpers with the stash (or should I say cache)

This is Alina with her cucumber telephone.

Today's cucumbers. Again, we didn't harvest any for 2 days. Anyone know any good dill or sweet pickle recipes.



Ryah carrying our tomatoes for today. We haven't gotten many tomatoes and they have all been these cherry tomatoes. hopefully we'll get more. The plants are nice and healthy.

This is all the zucchini that I need to cut up or shred to freeze or make zucchini bread and muffins. Looks like....... a lot of work, huh. Guess what I'm doing today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness that is so different from our visit! So glad your hard work has paid off! How are you doing? Ready for another round :P

    ReplyDelete