Monday, May 10, 2010

Kristina turns 10!!!!

After much anticipation and frustration (of the slow time) Kristina's birthday finally arrived.  She was excited to have her birthday on Mother's Day.  She woke up shortly after I woke up (yes, hypervigilant).  And she and I made cake to decorate.  She saw on the back of the cake box that you could make cupcakes in ice cream cones so that is what she wanted me to make to take to school.  Since I've never done that we decided to make a practice run and do it for her family cake.  After they were in the oven came the long wait for everyone to wake up so she could open presents.  She was very gracious and she and I took turns opening presents.  She got a soccer goal from Grandma and Grandpa J.  Some puzzles and games from Grandma and Grandpa Nielson.  From us she got a soccer ball and a coupon to go to the store and get fabric to make a quilt and have Mom help her make it (she has been begging to do that for a LONG time... ever since Mom pulled her quilt making out). 

Then we all ate a very late breakfast, got everyone through the bath, and then made everyone lie down to take a nap.  We have been fighting all kinds of bugs and wanted to get everyone a chance to get over it. That is why most everyone is in PJ's.
Cake decorating was next.  Kristina wanted flowers on her cake.  I have been decorating cakes for a long time (since Caleb was 1 year old) but I have never taken a class.  I've seen a couple demonstrations over the years but really know nothing about decorating cakes... especially something that takes talent like flowers. So I did lots of fiddling on a plate first.  Of course I had 8 children crowding around watching and wanting to participate.
Before

So instead of just packing the frosting back into a container and into the fridge to be thrown out later, I let the kids play with it.  Oh, they had so much fun. Luckily, I had made a small batch of frosting or we would have more frosting than cupcakes. :)


After

The games and puzzles have been done over and over.  The soccer equipment is waiting for Monday after chores are done... none too impatiently, I might add.
Oh, and Kristina loves being ten.  It is now her favorite number:  she is 10 and there are 10 people in our family.

~~~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KRISTINA~~~~



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Kristina! Love your cake and all the photos! I hope you had a wonderful day!
    Love, Aunt Kayleen

    ReplyDelete