Monday, September 14, 2009

Back to School

The older kids started school last wednesday. It was a trying week. The girls were ornery and everyone got on everyone else's nerves. Kristina especially had a hard time regulating herself. She also was extremely homesick for Ukraine. It seemed to help when she opened up one night (on her way to bed) and told me some stories about her "childhood." So last night for Family Night (sunday because there is a band/orchestra meeting tonight) we all sat down with the video camera and had the girls tell us what they remember about Ukraine, their Ukrainian family and the orphanage. Some of the stories I had heard before but some were new. All were eye-openers and quite a few shockers. I will probably post some snippets a little later (when I get a minute to learn how).
Anyway, here are the five in elementary. This first one is the traditional picture I take every year.


Anastasia.


Alina. She had me cut her hair since then, which is a post for a new day.
Miriam. I made her backpack for her birthday. I worried it was too small, and it is. But it works because it is wide enough to allow for folders.
Kristina.


Jonas.

Everyone watching the bus come.
And my middle schooler walking all by himself to the bus. Good grief, is he that old already? Am I that old already?

Then today was Ryah's first day. She was soooooooooooooo incredibly excited!!! I told her while I was making breadfast that she wouldn't go to school until after we ate lunch. She kept asking about going to school, and I couldn't get breakfast done so I told her that and sent her to play. Then after I came back from walking the other kids to the bus she said "Elijah, and Ryah, and Mom, eat lunch??" No, Ryah, we just ate breakfast. "I'm hungry." LOL.

So all morning.... ALL. MORNING. She would come down the stairs saying to Elijah "I got go to school." Then come to me and say, "I go school?" No, Ryah, not yet.
Finally it was time for her to eat a sandwich and get ready to go on the bus. Of course Elijah had to get his backpack on too. As we heard the bus turn on to our street and come up the hill she got so excited, but she also snuggled up next to me, a little nervous. But when the bus stopped she walked right on. I got on too and helped buckle her in her seat and she was eager to say goodbye to me. So hopefully she has a good day.
They look so little there walking to the bus.


Elijah and his back pack.

Ryah and her backpack.... and smirk.

Of course, Elijah wanted to go to school too. I told him he started school tomorrow. Which isn't exactly true. But not wholey a lie either. We have a meeting tomorrow with the parents who are doing a co-op pre-school. He can wear his backpack. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok, how do you have eight kids and still have time to MAKE a back pack? I love the photos! Glad your week got better...baby steps!

    ReplyDelete